Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

If I sue a Clothing Department store, or if I send them a Notice of Claims/Settlement Offer Demand, or Notice of Intent To Sue Letter, can they bar me, immediately, from ever going into their store again, since they have a sign on their wall, stating that they Reserve The Right To Refuse Service To Anyone?

I know that If we signed an out-of court settlement, they can state in the agreement for me to never go in their store again, as part of the settlement agreement, but without any kind of stipulations, can they just bar me from going in their store anytime?

Asked on 11/14/13, 8:21 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


Read more
Answered on 11/14/13, 8:48 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


You've never seen the sign "we reserve the right to refuse service"?? It is their property, they get to decide who comes onto it.

Read more
Answered on 11/15/13, 1:47 am
Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The store is private property. Its owners and managers can exclude anyone for any reason, except if it is based on discrimination due to race, religion, etc. There is no need for them to post a sign before doing so. Many businesses choose to post such a sign, but the law does not require it.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/13, 2:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now