California  |  Immigration Law

I am 68 and had a heart attack 9 yrs ago. So time is important to me. I have met a lady that is 62 and her permit to be in the US has expired. We have talked about marriage. If we did get married can we apply to immigration to keep her here. If she had to return to Bulgaria, we may not get time to enjoy quality time as a married couple. May health is stable, but the clock is ticking. We honestly are interested in getting married not to just help her stay in the US. Neither of us has a criminal record.

Answered on: 9/09/13, 4:48 am by Michael Cho

Yes, assuming she entered the U.S. legally, she should be able to remain in the U.S. if you two were to marry and you apply for her lawful permanent residence.

You may find out more information about the adjustment of status process on my web site here:

http://www.msclaw.com/marriage-visa-lawyer

Law Offices of Michael Cho 10940 Wilshire Boulevard, 16th Floor Los Angeles, CA 90024

Answered on: 9/09/13, 11:04 am by Marlene Hemmings

As Attorney Cho has stated, if she had a legal entry, even if she overstayed her visa, you can get married & you can apply for her "greencard".

More information can be obtained at www.uscis.gov & search "family of U.S. citizen".

Good luck!

Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law 23371 Mulholland Drive, Suite 294 Woodland Hills, 91364