Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

divorse on K-1 Visa


I'm going to divorse my husband(or he will apply first) . He is an American citizen. I'm here on k-1 Visa. On November, 7 it was 6 months after i got my conditional Green Card. Will it affect my immigrational process in case of divorse, what might happen with me? Is he able to do something to organize my departure(a letter to INS,for example)?

We got married in August, 16th.

Thank you so much.

P.S. Sorry if I made some mistakes.

Asked on 11/12/04, 7:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: divorse on K-1 Visa


If you divorce him after the receipt of your conditional green card, you will need to file a waiver application when or before removing your conditional status.

The purpose of the waiver application is to show that marriage was bonafide when incepted but things didn't work out while you were married. Normally such waivers are treated fairly by the immigration and you could save the green card this way.

We hadle many petitions of this nature anbd will be happy to oofer a free consultation to evaluate your case. Call me at 619 819 92 04 or email [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 11/12/04, 8:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now