Legal Question in Immigration Law in California


Dear Sir/Madam,

I finally got a H1-B approval on October 2004 after the filing on June 2004. Due to certain reason, I have quited the job without finding a new sponsor company to transfer my H1-B.

1. May I know how long i can stay in state after loosing a job ?

2. What kind of status i should change in order to be legally stay in US?

3. What if I find a new company which willing to sponsor my H1-B at the end of NOV? Is it too late?

Last, i truely appreciate your kindness reply.

Best regards !

Asked on 11/10/04, 6:19 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: H1-b


The law doesn't really grant you a grace period after you loose your H1B job. If you think that you can find a job soon, than stick to finding a job and later you could file for a new H1b.

If not I would switch to a visitor's status as soon as possible. Depending on what country you are from, you may be eligible for an E2 visa and start your own company while you look for a job for example.

Feel free to call 619 819 92 04 for a free consultation.


Read more
Answered on 11/11/04, 7:06 pm
Myron Morales Lee Lane Smith LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: H1-b

You should file a new petition and then go outside the U.S. to get the visa stamp.

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/11/04, 6:29 am
Baoqin Wang Law Office of Baoqin Wang
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: H1-b

Please visit my website and read some articles regarding H1B related topics.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 11/11/04, 11:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now