California  |  Immigration Law

Hello,

I know that on paper, our situation will look very shady to USCIS but I wanted an opinion form experts.

I am Fench. Came to the US 8 years ago for Grad school (student visa). I am now on an H1B visa. Got married to a US citizen and we are trying to file I-13-/485 so I can get the permanent residency.

Now this is where it gets shady... My husband is currently living in California and I am still living in Virginia (under contract until June but will be moving to CA in July). We did meet in Virginia 3 years ago but he had to move to CA for his job. Also, we eloped (just the two of us) in Las Vegas. Our family have different religions and we didn't want to deal with that. Plus, We'd rather spend money on investing in a house rather than a wedding.

We do have a joint bank account and health insurance policy but I know the above will look weird to USCIS. Is there a chance that the Green card will be denied because of this?

Thank you very much for your help!