Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

My husband got a Green Card 6 month ago. Now he is going to work for 1 year contract overseas. Does he loose his Green Card status and what to do to prevent that? Thank you.

Asked on 6/11/13, 9:00 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Cho Law Offices of Michael Cho
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

He will want to file for a Re-entry permit so that he can preserve his permanent residence, in addition to maintaining as much "proof" of legal residence and life in the United States as possible during this period abroad.


Michael Cho

Attorney & Counselor at Law

You may find me on the web at:

10940 Wilshire Boulevard, 16th Floor

Los Angeles, California 90024

Phone: 323.238.4620

Fax: 323.345.5477


Read more
Answered on 6/11/13, 9:03 am
Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Green Card holders will be considered having abandoned their desire to be permanent resident if they leave the US for longer than 6 months.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/13, 10:02 am
Mercy Sequeira Law Office of Mercy Sequeira
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your husband can apply for a Re-entry permit.

I can be reached at [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 6/11/13, 11:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now