Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I won DV lottery 2014 and I'm expecting my interview in July-August. I've already send my application to the KCC as a single person. However, my boyfriend, who's American citizen, recently proposed and we don't want to postpone our wedding for so long. We're thinking of getting married in March 2014. My boyfriend is in the US and I'm in Europe. We've been together for 2 years (I used to live in the US on my work visa but when it expired I returned to Europe and realized that I won DV lottery). We're going to get married in Europe. I don't want to get a spouse visa and prefer to go with DV process because I've already started and it seems easier and faster. My question is if our marriage will anyhow affect/complicate my DV application? Or should we wait with the marriage until I get my visa?

Thanks

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Yes, getting married to a U.S. citizen now could not only complicate things, but could make you ineligible for an immigrant visa through the DV lottery. In my opinion. you should either wait to get married until you obtain your immigrant visa, or get married now & have your U.S. citizen spouse petition you for an immigrant visa.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California