California  |  Insurance Law

DUI and adult child's insurance

My son was convicted of DUI when he was 20. He's now over 21, has been without his license for the requisite 12 months and now wants insurance so he can get his license back. I carry a lot of coverage in my own policy but am only willing to buy him a minimum-requirement policy under CA law. I am paying his college tuition and all living expenses. My question is this: In the worst-case scenario, e.g. when there's someone dead or in a wheelchair as a result of an accident for which my son is deemed to be liable -- what is the likelihood that my assets can be at risk, as well? IOW, are we kidding ourselves that by insuring him separately, not allowing him to drive any of our cars, and covering him at the legal minimum level, our assets are sufficiently protected?

Thank you

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Answered on: 5/23/09, 12:41 am by Michael Stone

Re: DUI and adult child's insurance

If you entrust your car to someone who you know is a drunk, is unlicensed, or is otherwise fit to drive, then you are guilty of Negligent Entrustment and you are liable for unlimited damages.

Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE 3020 Old Ranch Parkway, Suite 300 Seal Beach, CA 90740

Answered on: 5/23/09, 4:01 am by Armen Tashjian

Re: DUI and adult child's insurance

If he doesn't drive any of your vehicles, you will not have any problem, he will if he gets in a major accident.

Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian 6311 Wilshire Blvd., Second Floor Los Angeles, CA 90048