Legal Question in Insurance Law in California

My house was robbed while I was out of town about a year ago - just about everything in the house was taken - completely cleared out. I submitted a claim to my insurance company, and after months of fighting with them, they sent me a check for just over $8,000. They said they won't pay more since I don't have recepts for all the items I owned in the house.

I hired a public adjuster who demanded an appraisal and the panel said my property was worth $109,000. The insurance company won't pay the rest of the money, since there aren't receipts to prove i owned everything, and I am going to have an attorney sue them.

My question is whether I can cash the check for $8,000 and still sue the insurance company, or whether I need to return it until they pay the full amount? Would i be able to go ahead and sue them for the rest of the money if I accept the partial payment?

Thank you.

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

George Shers Law Offices of Georges H. Shers

You have to look at the check and the letter that came with it [and any forms such as a Release] to see whether it states it is in full settlement of your claim or not. It probably is for a full settlement as insurance companies rarely make partial settlements.

More Insurance Law questions and answers in California

Insurance Law Legal Forms