California  |  Insurance Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/04/13, 1:06 pm

My mother's truck was hit parked in front of our house. The impact pushed her truck up onto the sidewalk and into my truck. My truck was also pushed up onto the curb and there is damage to my bumper and alignment. The person at fault is the neighbor across the street who has minimum basic liability. We are located in the state of California. His insurance is telling me that they only have a certain amount of money to disperse to the claims, and that pretty much I will get whatever is leftover (if any) after my mother's truck is fixed. I am not sure what to do in this matter as I have never been involved in an accident before. Should I start looking into filing a small claims court case?

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

2 Answers

Answered on: 6/04/13, 1:27 pm by Robert F. Cohen

You might make a claim under your and your mothers' underinsured motorist coverage. Also, you might sue in small claims and record the judgment. That puts a lien on his real property that will have to be satisfied when the property is refinanced or sold.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Robert F. Cohen P.O. Box 15896 San Francisco, CA 94115-0896

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 6/04/13, 1:43 pm by John Laurie

The person who cased the accident is responsible for the full amount of your damages regardless of how much insurance they have. If there is not sufficient insurance to cover your loss then they have to come out of pocket themselves. If you have insurance on your truck, you can make a claim under your policy and then your insurance company can try to get their money back through subrogation

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search