Legal Question in Intellectual Property in California

Greetings. My question is about liability as an LLC owner in terms of copyright infringement.

I'm trying to learn if one would create a single member LLC that, for example - would be sued for copyright infringement for using a copyrighted image in a web publication, is the owner of the LCC personally liable in any way?

Thanks for any responses

Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry

If the owner of the LLC contributed to the infringement -- ie chose the image to be posted, authorized its posting, participated in its posting, then yes, the owner would have exposure. This follows the general rule that a person is liable for the torts he personally commits or in whose commission he participates.

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

Whoa; I'm not so certain this is correct. It is entirely possible that a properly-capitalized and operated LLC would shield the owner from personal liability. That's what the first "L" in LLC is supposed to mean. Of course, many single-member LLCs are thinly capitalized and sloppily operated, so that the "LLC veil" can be pierced in court.

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in California

Intellectual Property Legal Forms