Legal Question in Employment Law in California

2 Months ago my company notified me I would be getting laid off 6/28 and I would be getting a severance package. Need help!

Today they offered to extend me another 3 months, however I feel I have already fulfilled my original commitment to them of staying until 6/28. If i decline their offer, am I still entitled to my severance package, as well as my unemployment rights? Or would i be forfeiting both severance and UI by declining the 3 month extension? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

They also offered me a $3,000 "stay til 6/28" bonus. I would also like to know if i'm entitled to that as well. I really would like to move on from this company, but I don't want to do so if i'm giving up the severance, bonus, and unemployment.

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Payment of severance is entirely voluntary by the company. You'll get it if you comply with their requirements. Quit early and you lose it and unemployment benefits. If you have another job to go to, weigh that income against the severance. Your choice.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms