California  |  Employment Law

Blacklisting

I am a parttime employee for a large hospital. I am also a fulltime student and will

be finishing school Spring 1999. My supervisor hired me knowing that I was attending school. Recently, I sent out several resumes to acquire a position in my field of study and listed my supervisor as the person to contact for a reference. Well, a prospective employer did call and unfortunalely my boss was out of her office. My co-worker took the liberty of telling the caller "all the wrong things", ( that I have a bad attitude and very little respondsibility), None of this is true and I'm sure that I do not have a chance with the prospective employer now... will I ever have a chance with anyone? Frankly, I believe this has happened because I am in a critical position. They always tell me that I am doing such a great job; that I am the best ever and that the position remained open for years before I filled it. I think it is truly selfish of them to try and keep me there. I have tried to contact the prospective employer to find out exactly what was said, but they never returned my calls. Please

tell what can be done, if anything at all to save my reputation.