Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I am in Ca. I had a Labor issue back in the mid 90's. I perused it with the labor board and was awarded a judgment against the former employer who is located in another state. I assigned the case to the labor board for collection. There is a division of the tax franchise board that they work with to collect. At some point I was told that the judgment was not collectible, and that I needed to write a letter to the labor board requesting that the judgment be resigned to me If I wished to peruse it in the private sector. In the last 1.5 to 2 years I have sent them 3 requests, and called them about 10 times, trying to get the judgment reassigned to me.I have spoken to the local office manager numerous times. I have also left messages with the state manager of the labor offices. I have been polite, patient, and respectful. I am dumbfounded as to why this has been so difficult.

1. Do I have the correct understanding about the judgment being reassigned to me before I can pursue collection privately.

2. If this understanding is correct, is there a way to have the judgment resigned that bypasses the Labor Board? Maybe through the court that handled the judgment?

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

A court judgment is good for only ten years, but you can 'renew' it for additional ten year periods. Unless you renewed it, it is no longer enforceable. I doubt the agency did so for you.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms