Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I am in Ca. I had a Labor issue back in the mid 90's. I perused it with the labor board and was awarded a judgment against the former employer who is located in another state. I assigned the case to the labor board for collection. There is a division of the tax franchise board that they work with to collect. At some point I was told that the judgment was not collectible, and that I needed to write a letter to the labor board requesting that the judgment be resigned to me If I wished to peruse it in the private sector. In the last 1.5 to 2 years I have sent them 3 requests, and called them about 10 times, trying to get the judgment reassigned to me.I have spoken to the local office manager numerous times. I have also left messages with the state manager of the labor offices. I have been polite, patient, and respectful. I am dumbfounded as to why this has been so difficult.

1. Do I have the correct understanding about the judgment being reassigned to me before I can pursue collection privately.

2. If this understanding is correct, is there a way to have the judgment resigned that bypasses the Labor Board? Maybe through the court that handled the judgment?

Asked on 8/09/11, 11:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A court judgment is good for only ten years, but you can 'renew' it for additional ten year periods. Unless you renewed it, it is no longer enforceable. I doubt the agency did so for you.

Read more
Answered on 8/09/11, 12:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now