Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I was let go from a job within the 90 day probation period. It was a high level job that required a relocation of 300+ miles which the company paid for. The job is quite different from the job description and information given during 5 interviews. The termination stated reasons of performance that were not consistent with my contract. The company agreed to give me 3 month's severance for my trouble and I agreed, signed the paperwork and the attorney was to forward me the termination contract. Later that day, I was told that the circumstances had changed as I had put a $200 check in petty cash for $200 the day before. I didn't have time to replace the money before being let go. They are saying that due to this, I am only now being offered $10,000, not the $22,000 they had agreed. I feel I've done nothing wrong and signed the paperwork based on the original agreement. They've given me a deadline to sign for the $10,000 agreement or it will no longer be offered. What should I do?

Kristine Karila Law Office of Kristine S. Karila

If the company offered to pay $22K and you agreed to it - a contract was reached. The company may be breaching the contract if they don't pay you that amount. Of course, they can always offset the $200 or sue you for it. Call an employment law attorney to discuss.

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

IF you have an enforceable contract for the severance pay, meaning their written offer, your written acceptance, then you may be able to enforce it if you act quickly.

If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, feel free to contact me.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms