California  |  Employment Law

Hello. My name is Karen Guardado and I am a nurse working in a nursing home who recently took maternity leave. Prior to my leave I was working part time 3days per week 7-8 shift. I am ready to return to work and I spoke to my supervisor last week. She told me I was set to comeback today 11/13/13 and resume my previous schedule. However, Yesterday she called me and said not to come in today after all because she had changed the schedule. When I asked her what the changes were she did not want to tell me and only said she would discuss the changes when I return to work on Thursday.

I overheard from a coworker who spoke to my supervisor that she is going to cut my days because they hired another nurses while I was gone.

My question is, is this legal? Can my employer cut my hours to give to another nurse she hired while I was on maternity leave?

Thank you for your time. My phone number is (323) 697-8599