Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I live in California and really want to work for a specific company. I want to work there for a trial period of 2 months without pay, however, I didn't know if that exposes them to some violation in labor laws. I'm totally cool with it, in fact, was my idea. Will an informal contract that we both sign be sufficient?

Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry

The idea violates California and federal law, as you would not be receiving minimum wage for the hours you work, and it does not appear that this arrangement constitutes a valid internship.

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

Assuming that the company is not a non profit and that you would not be doing an internship through a school you can not work for free.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter or retainer agreement hiring me or my firm..

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms