California  |  Employment Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/15/13, 7:07 pm

I recently was requested to take a 65% reduction in salary and informed my employer that I was not willing to accept. Upon pay day, I discovered that they had cut my salary with no documentation or information on what my new salary was. I called my manager, who is the CEO of the company and told him that I was able to accept the pay cut and would be resigning immediately.

Today I received my final paperwork with the info on the final paycheck and they had voided my accrued vacation/pto time from the final check.

I am in California, is this legal? Can I respond that I do not accept without the PTO/Vacation time included?


1 Answer

Answered on: 7/15/13, 8:44 pm by Kristine Karila

To lower your pay, your employer must give you advance notice. No, it is not lawful for a CA employer to cause an employee to forfeit/lose their earned and unused PTO or vacation time. Call an employment law attorney to discuss. You may be owed your earned vacation/PTO plus up 30 day's wages as penalties plus the law requires your former employer to pay your attorney's fees. Many employment law attorneys offer a free initial phone consultation.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Kristine S. Karila 9891 Irvine Center Dr., Ste. 200 Irvine, CA 92618

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search