California  |  Employment Law

I work as a subcontractor for a property preservation co. I receive work orders to clean out and secure reo and foreclosed houses. from different banks. On one order I was told to move the personal items brought in by a squatter to a storage facility for 30 days and then discard, but these items were old and roach infested so no storage facility would accept them and they were thrown away. Now the squatter has obtained an attorney and is sueing the bank for her personal items and my employer has put my wages on hold, but has not stopped sending me work and now the owe me approx $15000.00 Is There anything I can Do? because I can not continue to work or pay my bills with no Money

Answered on: 9/17/13, 12:16 pm by Terry A. Nelson

What you describe is improper by the employer. If you are an 'employee' of the company [not a sub-contractor or Independent Contractor] as indicated, then you can file a lawsuit for unpaid wages and penalties, or a complaint with the Labor Commissioner. If serious about hiring counsel to help get your money and penalties in this, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible. You are entitled to your attorney fees as well if you win, which sounds like a safe bet.

Nelson & Lawless 18685 Main St., #175 Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Answered on: 9/17/13, 3:44 pm by Kristine Karila

Whether you are an employee or independent contractor depends on whether the company has control over the way you perform your duties. If you are an employee, your employer must timely pay wages or face monetary penalties. If you are an indep. contractor, when you get paid depends on your contract. Call an employment law attorney to discuss.

Law Office of Kristine S. Karila 9891 Irvine Center Dr., Ste. 200 Irvine, CA 92618