Legal Question in Employment Law in California

I work as a subcontractor for a property preservation co. I receive work orders to clean out and secure reo and foreclosed houses. from different banks. On one order I was told to move the personal items brought in by a squatter to a storage facility for 30 days and then discard, but these items were old and roach infested so no storage facility would accept them and they were thrown away. Now the squatter has obtained an attorney and is sueing the bank for her personal items and my employer has put my wages on hold, but has not stopped sending me work and now the owe me approx $15000.00 Is There anything I can Do? because I can not continue to work or pay my bills with no Money

Asked on 9/17/13, 9:38 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

What you describe is improper by the employer. If you are an 'employee' of the company [not a sub-contractor or Independent Contractor] as indicated, then you can file a lawsuit for unpaid wages and penalties, or a complaint with the Labor Commissioner. If serious about hiring counsel to help get your money and penalties in this, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible. You are entitled to your attorney fees as well if you win, which sounds like a safe bet.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 12:16 pm
Kristine Karila Law Office of Kristine S. Karila
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Whether you are an employee or independent contractor depends on whether the company has control over the way you perform your duties. If you are an employee, your employer must timely pay wages or face monetary penalties. If you are an indep. contractor, when you get paid depends on your contract. Call an employment law attorney to discuss.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 3:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now