Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

What is Case Management Conference.My apartment started the eviction process but I left before I went to court.My understanding neither parties went to court and I was to receive a final statement within 30 days of what I owe.But I just received a Case Management Conference in the mail. What does this mean?

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

It means that the case against you is continuing. It's possible that the landlord is still seeking back rent. You might contact the landlord's attorney to let the attorney know that possession no longer is an issue, and strongly suggest that the case be dropped. If not, at the case management conference, the judge will want to know what's going on with the eviction, whether money is being sought, and when both sides will be ready for trial. Review the statement the plaintiff's attorney has filed to get an idea what the landlord wants from you.

Of course, if you haven't filed an answer to the lawsuit, the judge will want to know why the landlord hasn't taken your default and received judgment.

I agree with Mr. Cohen, and it may mean that the case has converted to a regular civil action, since possession of the premises is no longer at issue. You need to get an attorney and find out what is going on.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms