California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I entered into an oral rental agreement for a room in my landlord's house. When I moved in we orally agreed that I could stay for at least 9 months. In the meantime I have been living in the room for more than a year now. The landlord says that she will reconsider every month if I can stay for another month. Is there a legal time frame within which she would have to make the termination (e.g. 30 days) and if so - could they be for any day of the month or only for the last day of a month. Other things I have to be aware of? Thank you tons!

Answered on: 8/20/13, 4:22 pm by Daphne Macklin

You are a boarder (a person renting a room). This means that the rules for renting a residential leasehold for you are somewhat different than for a person renting an apartment or an entire house. I suggest you review the Landlord-Tenant information at the California Department of Consumer Affairs website. My next suggestion is that you negotiate a 3 or 6 month renewable contract with your landlord. Good luck with this.

Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin P.O. Box 661702 Sacramento, CA 95866