Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

I want to know what I can do about being 'evicted' due to the bank owning my apartment building, because the owner went bankrupt. Thank you.

Asked on 2/03/10, 4:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

George Shers Law Offices of Georges H. Shers
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The bank steps into the shoes of the former owner and has the same right and obligations.

Read more
Answered on 2/08/10, 9:16 pm
Melvin C. Belli The Belli Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your rights depend on what happened. If the apartment was foreclosed on, you are on month to month and don't live in rent controlled area then you get 90 days to move. If you have a lease then you get to stay until end of lease. If you live in rent controlled area with just cause required for eviction you can stay as long as you pay the rent and do not break any terms in the lease.

Hope that helps and good luck

Read more
Answered on 2/08/10, 11:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now