Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

My father died recently and he owned a home in New Mexico, it is currently going through probate and I am his only heir. His former neighbors would like to purchase the home for their son. Since the home is still going through probate they would like to set up a lease to purchase. My questions:

1. Can I legally do this?

2. With a lease to purchase can I ask for a down payment?

Asked on 9/19/10, 12:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This would be governed by New Mexico law, so you need to re-ask the question under the location of the house. I would note, however, that lease-to-purchase deals under the law of most states are tricky to draft, and often result in a bad deal for one side or the other. A better way to do the deal might be a straight lease until close of escrow on a separate purchase agreement.

Read more
Answered on 9/24/10, 12:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now