Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

My father died recently and he owned a home in New Mexico, it is currently going through probate and I am his only heir. His former neighbors would like to purchase the home for their son. Since the home is still going through probate they would like to set up a lease to purchase. My questions:

1. Can I legally do this?

2. With a lease to purchase can I ask for a down payment?

Asked on 9/19/10, 12:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This would be governed by New Mexico law, so you need to re-ask the question under the location of the house. I would note, however, that lease-to-purchase deals under the law of most states are tricky to draft, and often result in a bad deal for one side or the other. A better way to do the deal might be a straight lease until close of escrow on a separate purchase agreement.

Read more
Answered on 9/24/10, 12:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now