Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

How do I find out if the place I rent is rent control because our land lord showed up an told us she was raising rent 100 for cost of living

Asked on 4/29/13, 7:48 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You want to contact the housing authority in the community where you live. There are actually very few rent controlled communities in California. On the other hand a rent increase of $100 may require a significant amount of notice depending on your current rent.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/13, 7:59 pm
Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Very few places have rent control in California. San Jose is not one of them. Therefore they do not have a rent board either. If the rent increase is more than 10% you are entitled to 60-days notice before it takes effect. If it is not more than 10% you are entitled to 30-days notice.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/13, 9:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now