California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Illegal sublet rights?

I sublet an apartment in August & signed a 9 month lease with the current tenant, giving him a refundable last months rent & deposit. The lease states I can terminate by 30 days written notice from both parties, if in agreement.

He phoned me 2 weeks ago to say the landlord wanted all subletters out of the building & that my sublet had only been agreed with the building manager verbally & not in writing from the landlord but that he was applying to them to do this retrospectively & would keep me posted. I told him I did not feel comfortable subletting illegally & wanted to be kept informed.

Hearing nothing I found another apartment & gave my notice to him on the phone today, I said given the situation (& that despite moving out earlier) I felt it fair that I should only be obligated to pay rent til the end of the month, not 30 days, and that I considered my contract with him void. I asked for a date by which I would receive both my deposit & last month rent back. He said he would have to think about it.

Unfortunately I do not have the original landlord or building managers addresses.

I would like to put something in writing today. What are my rights? What should I do?