Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

hi I've lived in my back house almost 2 yrs now. Previous owners lost home in foreclosure /auction. I was never evicted because my home is not permitted. A new owner as of 5 myths ago just served me eviction papers naming the old owners as defendants. HELP PLEASE!!! DO I NEED TO RESPOND? DOES HE NEED TO PAY FOR MY FAMILY TO RELOCATE? My home is still not permitted.

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

You would file a prejudgment claim which would add you to the eviction lawsuit. Then, you could raise any defense you believe might be appropriate. I would suggest that you consult with an attorney as legitimate tenants (with written rental agreements) might have some rights to stay for a period of time before an eviction happens. You can always try to negotiate with the new owner a date certain for moving out in exchange for some compensation. But there is no required compensation unless you live in certain rent-stabilized cities and the reasons are one of the just causes for the eviction.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms