California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/02/12, 10:24 pm

I let a down on her luck ex friend and her boyfriend move into my spare bedroom over a year ago for free so they could get back on their feet. My financial situation has gotten worse and I want them out so I can rent out that room but, they won't leave. The house is in Los Angeles, Ca. An article in the L A Times said that because they were invited in by me they are not trespassers but are "tenants at will" and will have to be given a 30 day notice to leave rather than a 60 day notice which is required for paying renters who have resided there for over a year. Other "experts" tell me I need a 60 day notice. I'm disabled and my health is getting worse dealing with the stress of this and the bad vibes I get from them in my own house. I want to make sure everything is done right so that if it goes to court it will not be thrown out. What is the correct answer and can you site the relevant section in the Ca. civil code so I know for sure. I have tried searching the code but can't find anything regarding non paying guests only lodgers which is defined as someone who pays, not a guest.

If a local attorney answers this and I think it's correct then I may want you to represent me.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search