Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

notice to landlord for rent abatement

to sue a landlord for rent abatement, what details would need to be included in a notice ?

would the notice inform the landlord to comply within a specfied time or face legal action?

or would the notice be a request for montary compensation, if so what is the percent of the rent the landlord should refund?

Robert L. Bennett Law offices of Robert L. Bennett

Re: notice to landlord for rent abatement

I cannot answer this without more facts.

However, by "notice" I assume you mean a demand to the landlord to pay (they never do at this point, but they know you are serious).

As to the second question, you always tell them to pay within a specified time (usually 7 days), or they will face legal action.

Thirdly, always include an amount too high. If you tell someone they can solve their problems for $100, you can't later tell them it will be $2,000.

As to percent of the rent, you are going to end in court, and let a judge decide. Expecting a landlord to pay, is similar to expecting President Bush to pull the troops out of Irag and Afghanistan, and admit he made a mistake.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA