California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/19/12, 2:03 am

I am renting an apartment with no written lease. The oral agreement with the landlorad was that "I can live as long as I pay monthly rent." Can I leave the premises without a 30 day or whatever notice? I just want to pay the last month rent and go.

1 Answer

Answered on: 2/19/12, 10:31 am by Timothy McCormick

It doesn't matter whether oral or written, if you have an agreement to rent property and you pay a monthly rent, you have a month-to-month "tenancy at will." You must give the landlord 30-days notice of your intent to move out. You are free to move out sooner, but you owe rent until you give notice plus 30 days after.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search