California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

My roommate and I rented a single family home for $900 per month. When we moved in, we were supposed to do a walk through with the landlord. But instead the property manager instructed us to fill out the rental agreement; make the money orders out in the landlord's name and he would give the documents to the landlord for us. When we asked for our copies of the rental documents and a receipt for the rent, the property manager said he would have to get back to us. Since we didn't have anything in writing and the landlord was out of the country on vacation, we withheld giving the property manager this month's rent until the landlord returns this week. I was able to get the landlords address and phone number and left a message and sent a letter explaining our concerns.

I found out the landlord never received the rent and that the property manager cashed the money orders. I don't know who to contact first and should I file a police report? Thank you