California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Need help with security deposit / what is deductable from deposit

Does landlord have right to charge me my deposit and other miscellaneous items when they didn't do a walk thru with me or notify me ahead of time before they go and do all the stuff they are trying to charge me for. I moved out at the end of Sept. and I just received a letter last week with a list of things that were deducted from my deposit, plus an additional 400.00 that is to be paid to them for the items listed on their letter. I'm very confused as to what is going on here. I took two days off work to clean each room and make sure that it was as clean as can be. They also charged me 300.00 for trash removal in the garage, but the thing is, we share the garage with 3 other tenants that live there. Whatever was ours we took with us, we have always kept our parking space clean, so I don't understand why they are charging us for that. I need to know if I have to pay for all of the items on the list and what my rights are as a tenant. I have lived there for almost 5yrs had I stayed until this month. What are the time limits for them to contact me and for me to respond to their letter. Any advice will be appreciated greatly.