California  |  Legal Malpractice

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/01/13, 11:44 pm

In late July of this year, I hired an attorney to represent me in a contractual dispute against a client who refused to pay me as per our fully executed written contract. The sum in dispute is $26,850 which was held in escrow and later placed in an interest bearing trust account in my name at my attorney's office. The client initially only offered $15,000 and then increased it to $17,000 in September. We are now in November and I have instructed my attorney to accept $25,000. However, she does not return my weekly calls or emails in which I ask for an update as far as whether my client's attorney has provided a response. I have brought this lack of communication to her attention three times but she continues to ignore me. What I do receive regularly however is her bill of $300 per hour and it is now up to $2,950 with no end in sight. What kind of attorney doesn't return their clients' calls. I thought attorney's owe a fiduciary duty of professionalism to their clients and have to pass the professional responsibility exam. What else can I do to ensure that she replies and does not continue to run up the bill so as to make in economically unfeasible for me to proceed with any potential lawsuit, rather I will need to cut my losses and settle the matter. What are my rights and what course of action should I take against her?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search