Legal Question in Native American Law in California

I have a Daughter in a drug Treatment Program ,and she has been told that if she doesnt complete her program, than her infant daughter will be put up for Adoption. As a Native Grandparent do I have a right to take the baby?

Asked on 7/14/11, 12:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I wouldn't go so far as to say you'd "have a right to take the baby," but under the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978 you'd have a very good chance if the baby (and you) qualify under the Act. The main question will probably be whether the baby is, or qualifies to be, an enrolled member of your tribe.

There is an excellent basic discussion of the ICWA in Wikipedia. Here is a link:

Read more
Answered on 7/14/11, 4:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Native American Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now