California  |  Native American Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/24/12, 4:17 pm

haw do you go about gitting ones indian rights monny andland

1 Answer

Answered on: 10/25/12, 9:08 am by Bryan Whipple

This would depend to some extent on tribal law and policy. First, in most cases at least, you would need to establish your membership in the tribe or your right to participate. Many tribes don't recognize private ownership of land, so you may not be able to claim any land as belonging to you in the usual sense that you could sell, rent or lease it to others, for example, although you may have a right to live on and to farm certain land. Depends upon the tribe's traditions. If and when the tribe recognizes you as a member, the next step is to learn as much as you can about members' benefits and entitlements. I'd recommend that you plan to visit the tribal offices to inquire about membership and benefits. Other possibilities would be to visit the local Bureau of Indian Affairs office that deals with your tribe, or perhaps having an initial meeting with a lawyer in a town at or near your tribe's headquarters---find one who practices in the area of Indian or Native American law.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law P O Box 318 Tomales, CA 94971-0318

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search