California  |  Personal Injury

I was injured at a nationwide known store by a shopping cart that fell on me from the second story. They paid me a small settlememt and now I am receiving statements from the hospital where I was treated for my injuries. I told them to contact that nationwide store's claims dept and they said that they were told that I was given a settlement which I should pay them with. Was I treated unfairly and should I get an attorney for this?

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at SEGlaw.com

Answered on: 5/07/13, 11:21 am by Kristine Karila

Unfortunately, if you signed a settlement agreement in which you waived your rights, you are the person responsible for your medical bills. Hopefully, you consulted with an attorney before signing any agreement.

Law Office of Kristine S. Karila 9891 Irvine Center Dr., Ste. 200 Irvine, CA 92618

Answered on: 5/07/13, 11:30 am by Timothy McCormick

You made a huge mistake settling with the store without knowing what your medical bills were, much less making sure they were covered by the settlement. Chances are slim that you can get out of the settlement if you signed a release, but you can try. You will absolutely need a lawyer to even attempt that. Your only other option is to pay the medical bills out of the settlement you received, since I can assure you that was what the store intended when they settled with you and unless you can get out of the settlement, that is what the law says.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105