Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

Quick question to my fellow attorneys:

I'm out of state for an important matter and I'm thinking of doing a phone-in with the Judge for a Motion to Dismiss hearing

What are your thoughts on this? Would it be better to appear in person? Or is the phone-in acceptable?

Thanks to everyone sharing their thoughts! God bless!

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

Michael Stone-Molloy The Lion's Law Office

It greatly depends on the judge and I would definitely phone in and ask the clerk. Here in LA they are mostly laid back about that, but I've seen judges up north that insist on CourtCall with proper notice to opposing counsel.

Also, if it's a hotly contested motion, you may be better off asking opposing counsel to stipulate to a new hearing date so you can be there in person. But if it's unopposed and routine, then I would be fine phoning it in.

You can appear telephonically via "Courtcall" if that particular courtroom uses courtcall and you timely reserve the service and pay the fees. You should check the list here: http://www.courtcall.com/ccallp/info?c=CCATTORNEYS

Other than that, you are not allowed to simply call and discuss the case with the judge.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California