Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I referred a person to a doctor for certain cosmetic procedures and now they are unhappy with the result. Could I get sued for making the referral? I didn't charge the person any money nor did the doctor pay me to make referrals.

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at SEGlaw.com

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Anybody can sue anybody for anything. Winning is a different question. No, you did nothing to get sued.

BRUCE NELSON BRUCE E. NELSON ATTORNEY AT LAW

The attorney named above and I have more in common than our last name.His response is almost verbatim to what I was going to say.The only person potentially on the hook is the doc.

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

I agree with the two Mr. Nelsons. Unless there is more to the story, you have done nothing wrong and should not be liable.

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

Hate to rain on the parade, but it's not quite that simple. While I agree that the likelihood that you did anything giving rise to liability is small, there can be liability for intentionally reckless or even negligent referral to a professional. The issue is whether you knew or should have known of the doctor's incompetence. And of course the doctor's work would have to be determined to be incompetent or malpractice in the first place. If the doctor did work that meets the standards of his or her profession, then it doesn't even get to the question of whether you did anything wrong in the referral.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California