California  |  Personal Injury

I was returning my loaner car to the dealer, as i was driving through the the service lane, there was a car to my right, i was waiting on him to close his car door do rthat i can proceed on driving forward. When he finally close his car door i proceeded to drive only a few feet and i apparently ran over his backpack that he had set down in my lane. He claims that i was my fault because i ran it over. However it was out of my scope of vision when he set it down because i was pulled up only within a few feet whn he set it down in my lane, of a sevice lane mind you. where cars drive in and out for service. I gave him my name and phone number and i refused to give him my drivers license number because its not a car accident. he even threatened to take me to small claims court because his navigation broke inside his backpack. I offered to pay half and he would not accept. he also threatened to take me to his insurance company and now he's threatening to FILE A HIT AND RUN REPORT to the police, because he wants me to pay all of the cost to repalce his navigtion. What should i do? please help?

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

Answered on: 9/17/10, 4:07 pm by Robert F. Cohen

It sounds to me like he might have been negligent for leaving it in a place that he knows other cars drive. You might report it to your insurance carrier just so that it's documented. I think he is responsible for leaving it there, though. That's my opinion, though others might disagree.

Law Office of Robert F. Cohen P.O. Box 15896 San Francisco, CA 94115-0896