Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

My 5th Wheel RV

Last year my boyfriend and I bought an RV. The RV is in my name, however, he has made all the payments. We are no longer together, and I want to ensure he continues to make the payments, since he is still living in the RV. What can I do to ensure he continues to make the payemnts?

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

Re: My 5th Wheel RV

I would say the most obvious thing is for you to sell it to him - get rid of whatever legal interest you have.

You do not say which of you appears on the title or which of you signed the loan papers; also you didn't say if you are still on speaking terms. All of this will obviously have an important bearing upon whether you can just get yourself 100% out of the deal easily, or not.

You also didn't say whether you put any money into the original purchase that you'd like to get back.

Although as a 5th wheel this unit is not self-driveable, it would still be considered a motor vehicle in California, and you may have some public liability exposure if he doesn't keep it insured, not to mention property damage worries.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California