I a interested in buying a house in California and the zoning is SER1* what does this mean. Also there is an unpermitted structure what are the issues?
2 Answers from Attorneys
If the house is in South El Monte, I'd guess that it means" South El Monte single-family residential" but you should call City Hall or a local real estate company to confirm.
As for an unpermitted structure, the impact on a proposed purchaser can be highly variable, depending upon the following factors, and maybe others:
1. Is the unpermitted structure the main home, or a small shed?
2. Does the lack of permits apply to the whole structure, or only some improvements to it?
3. Does the structure more or less conform to code, or is it deviating in major ways?
4. Has there been, or will there be, an amnesty program for unpermitted buildings?
5. Is the structure a fire or other safety hazard?
6. How likely are the neighbors to complain?
7. Has there been a history of enforcement actions directed at the property or the building?
8. What is your lender's attitude toward it? Will it prevent getting a loan?
9. Does the price you're paying reflect the possible nuisance?
It can be a commercial zoning designation in Malibu. It depends on what county and city the property is in, and then you have to look at the zoning codes.
Lack of a permit can be a problem, but is sometimes correctable.
Related Questions & Answers
Hello, My parents are interested in "gifting" me a piece of their... Asked 7/05/13, 3:38 pm in United States California Real Estate and Real Property
I have a tri-plex next to a commercial building, commercial zone, Incorporated City... Asked 7/05/13, 10:41 am in United States California Real Estate and Real Property
I bought a house with a friend, we have a joint tenancy. I'm the only one on the... Asked 7/04/13, 10:33 pm in United States California Real Estate and Real Property
Is there a recorse I can take to get my house back. I signed a deed 5 years ago, now... Asked 7/04/13, 4:55 pm in United States California Real Estate and Real Property
I'm applying for an apartment but I know I have bad credit. I was forthright about... Asked 7/03/13, 7:04 pm in United States California Real Estate and Real Property