Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

If the judge grants my husband one of our homes and wants me to sign a grant deed over to him and he defaults on the mortgage payments and my name is still on the loan will it affect me and my credit or does he have to get a new loan with my name off the old loan. Thank you

Asked on 12/12/12, 8:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This is a dissolution of marriage, right? A property settlement created or approved by the judge should divide all of the former spouses' community assets and liabilities. The court must award assets and at the same time assign liabilities. If the home and its associated financing are not community property but are held as tenants in common or joint tenancy, they still can be divided at the request of either party. See Family Code section 2650.

Read more
Answered on 12/12/12, 9:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now