California  |  Real Estate Law

I lost a deed of trust on a commercial property I own through a C Corporation. The property is in California. How do I get a new deed.

Answered on: 5/18/13, 11:19 am by Bryan Whipple

Deeds of trust are almost always recorded with the County Recorder. Go to the Recorder's office with sufficient information to identify the property, and have one of the clerks assist you in locating and copying the D of T. Usually, it'll be helpful to have the assessor parcel number and the approximate date the D of T was created. I'd also try to avoid going to the Recorder's office right after it opens or right before it closes, as the clerks are more likely to be busy with title company recording work at those times.

Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law P O Box 318 Tomales, CA 94971-0318

Answered on: 5/20/13, 11:14 am by Anthony Roach

If the deed of trust was recorded, you can get a copy, and a certified copy is admissible in court. If the deed of trust was never recorded, then you have a major problem and need to speak to a competent real estate attorney immediately.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311