California  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/09/13, 11:36 am

I am an owner of a small apartment bldg. I have received complaints from tenants that a has been smoking marijuana at all hours of the day. I have a no drug statement that all my tenants received. I would like to send a 60 day notice to Vacate, but some police friends tell my that I may be sued if the tenant has a medical prescription for the MJ and I try to evict her. I have not been notified of the MJ prescription, nor have I approached the tenant. What can I do. I would want her out.

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/09/13, 12:16 pm by Bryan Whipple

I would agree with your police friends that caution is advisable. If the activity in question were drug dealing, the decision to evict would be a lot more clear-cut. However, when the activity is only drug use, and the substance involved is only marijuana, the decision is not clear-cut at all. In addition, your question doesn't say whether the tenant in question has a longer-term unexpired lease, or whether she is month-to-month. Your best bet may be to take the lease or rental agreement to a local real-estate attorney, show him/her the "no drug statement," describe the tenant activity, and get an opinion based upon (a) the statement and (b) the tenant's rental status (long term vs. month-to-month).

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law P O Box 318 Tomales, CA 94971-0318

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search