California  |  Real Estate Law

Plumbing problems not disclosed

We bought our house Nov. 1st 2003. The inspector gave it an OK and we moved in. Two months later we had our first small leak. We had our next major leak a month later in a bathroom which caused extensive damage to the ceiling and walls...the entire bathroom needs to be gutted. Not to mention a complete copper repipe ASAP. We're looking at $10,000+! There were no plumbing problems disclosed to us. We have since contacted the former owners and their agent. The former owners state no prior knowledge of problems.

The catch isI have talked to my next door neighbors. They say this man is lying and has had many plumbing problems over the last year. In fact the neighbor and former owner talked about the plumbing problems before they moved out. The former owner stated to my neighbor that he was not disclosing the plumbing problems on purpose. Now I know I have a case here, but my neighbor has stated repeatedly that he will not get in the middle of this. What can I do to prove my case if he will not testify?