California  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/03/12, 11:35 pm

I've recently moved out of an apartment in San Diego, CA with my two roommates. I understand the landlord is obligated to return the security deposit within 21 days of vacating (, but we didn't receive the check until 30 days after vacating. He forgot to sign the check, so he asked us to mail it back so he could sign it and return it back to us. He also took 10 days' rent our of the deposit, because he received the last set of keys 10 days after we vacated. However, when we moved in, we were given only two pairs of keys. We returned two pairs on the day we vacated, but the third roommate had a copy made and returned that pair late. Is his taking 10 days' rent justified? We haven't sent the unsigned check back yet and we're not sure how to proceed.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search