California  |  Real Estate Law

How do I respond to an unlawful detainer-eviction claim for non-payment for june rent. We paid the rent with a money order, however the manager claims he never received it. thanks

Answered on: 7/17/13, 12:35 am by Terry A. Nelson

You respond by timely filing a proper Answer and denial, and by submitting whatever proof you have of payment at trial. You do have your copy of the money order so you can track it at the bank, right?? Without proof, you have no defense to the UD. Try to negotiate now, rather than go to trial.

Nelson & Lawless 18685 Main St., #175 Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Answered on: 7/17/13, 12:16 pm by Anthony Roach

I hope you have proof that you obtained the money order, which should be dated and authenticated by someone from the place that issued the money order. As Mr. Nelson pointed out, you will have to file an answer, that is timely and contests the allegations of the complaint.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311