California  |  Real Estate Law

What is does the term "In Continuation" mean under the security deposit section of an apartment lease agreement.

Answered on: 8/12/13, 5:24 pm by Timothy McCormick

Without context there is no way to interpret two words.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105

Answered on: 8/12/13, 5:26 pm by William Christian

Please post the entire provision.

Rodi Pollock 444 S Flower St Los Angeles, CA 90071

Answered on: 8/12/13, 6:04 pm by Bryan Whipple

Without questioning that the previous two answers are right, and I agree with them, I have a couple of possible meanings:

#1, the phrase might merely be telling a reader of the lease document to look in another part of the document, such as an appendix, attachment, exhibit, etc. (i.e., the "continuation").

Possibility #2 is that the phrase refers to the period during which the lease is in effect. I have looked in Black's Law Dictionary, which contains definitions for tens of thousands of words and phrases used in law, and "continuation" isn't one of them. I also searched several cases in which the phrase "in continuation" was used by the courts in writing their decision, and believe the judges were using it in the sense of "during the period the lease is in effect."

Now, there are several words or expressions relating to the period a lease is in effect. These include "term" "extension" "renewal" and probably others. If I had to guess, I'd say the judges meant "in continuation" to mean while the lease is in effect as intended by the lessor and lessee, including permissible extensions, but excluding any extension imposed by law and not agreed upon by the parties at the time of signing.

Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law P O Box 318 Tomales, CA 94971-0318