Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

The town I live in said I must give them the first 15 ft of my property, is that legal for the city to take the first fifteen feet of my property by the road?

Asked on 5/11/13, 7:30 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes. The only question is what they must do to take it. There is a VERY good chance that the actual legal boundary of the road is 15 ft into what you think of as "your" property. More often than not when roads were put in, the boundaries provided for later expansion. So the existing roadbed sits in the middle of a much wider LEGAL roadbed. If that is the case, the land is already the city's, not yours, and they can do what they want with it. The other possibility is that they are, in fact, taking 15 feet of your property. They are allowed to do that by way of the legal principal of "eminent domain." Under eminent domain, the government can take pretty much ANY private property for any reasonable public purpose. Based on the Fifth Amendment, however, they must pay just compensation for it. There is a large chunk of the California Government Code devoted to eminent domain proceedings and how the government and the property owner arrive at "just compensation."

Read more
Answered on 5/11/13, 11:23 am
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I generally agree with Mr. McCormick. My inquiry to you would be whether this is recent, or the strip was previously dedicated to the city's use by some prior owner, in which case, you will not be compensated.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 8:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now