Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

how to transfer partial interest in property

We loaned our kids a substantial down payment for a condo. Rather than loan payments, we agreed to take a percentage (approx 33%) of the house as an investment. They would pay us this percent of its value when they sell or refinance in the future. How do we record this so we are protected if anything happens to them? It looks like Grant Deeds only transfer complete interest in the property.

Asked on 4/11/05, 7:23 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Daniel Harrison Berger Harrison, APC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: how to transfer partial interest in property

Not true. The deed could say, for example and in summary, "to Bob as to an undivided 66 2/3 percent and to Jane as to an undivided 33 1/3 pecent as tenants in common." Any escrow company should be able to help you draft such a deed.

Read more
Answered on 4/19/05, 11:00 am
Ken Koenen Koenen & Tokunaga, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: how to transfer partial interest in property

A partial interest in real estate can by transferred using a grant deed or a quit claim deed. However, I would strongly urge that you have a co-ownership agreement drafted that details ALL aspects of the co-ownership. I have seen numerous families go into turmoil when it came time to settle the deal.

Read more
Answered on 4/11/05, 7:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now